Travel Medical Insurance - Plan for Visitors to Canada
Ideal for: Visitors to Canada, new immigrants and returning Canadians awaiting government health coverage
Why do I need Visitors to Canada Travel Medical Insurance?
Travelling outside your home country without travel medical insurance can be an expensive gamble. Medical and dental care in Canada is costly, and the Canadian government recommends that visitors be adequately insured during their stay in the country.
Choose TuGo insurance.
A 13–year–old Korean girl, visiting her aunt and uncle in Canada, developed acute abdominal pain and was taken to the ER. An emergency appendectomy was performed followed by a second operation in order to remove an infected section of her bowel. She spent a total of 18 days in hospital.
Without Visitors to Canada Travel Insurance, her out–of–pocket costs would have totalled: $77,429.25
Visitors to Canada Travel Medical Insurance:
- COVERS INJURY OR SICKNESS REQUIRING AN EMERGENCY HOSPITAL STAY OR EMERGENCY MEDICAL TREATMENT
- PROTECTS VISITORS TO CANADA FOR SHORT PERIODS AND EXTENDED STAYS
- PROTECTS IMMIGRANTS AND CANADIANS RETURNING TO CANADA AFTER LIVING ABROAD WHO ARE AWAITING PROVINCIAL HEALTH PLAN COVERAGE
- INCLUDES 24–HOUR ACCIDENT INSURANCE UP TO $25,000 (CAD)
Includes emergency air transportation, emergency dental expense, prescription drugs, board and lodging for you or your travelling companion while confined to a hospital and more.
- VARIOUS LIMITS OF INSURANCE AVAILABLE TO A MAXIMUM OF $200,000 (CAD)
- SINGLE TRIP COVERAGE
- CHOICE OF DEDUCTIBLE
Administered by: TuGo
Underwritten by: Lloyd`s Underwriters
24h Emergency Assistance Center: Claims at TuGo
- Emergency Medical Expenses maximum benefits: $25,000; $50,000; $100,000, $150,000 and $200,000
- Hospital and medical expenses (semi-private accommodation) including three follow-up visits within 14 days of the emergency date (does not include ongoing treatment).
- Physician and surgeon services.
- Ambulance services (including mountain and sea rescue).
- X-ray examinations and diagnostic laboratory procedures.
- Prescription drugs for a maximum of 30 days period.
- Rental of essential medical appliances including but not limited to wheelchairs, crutches and canes.
- Private duty nursing services.
- Professional medical services of physiotherapist, chiropractor, chiropodist, osteopath and podiatrist up to a maximum limit of $500 per practitioner.
- Emergency air transportation to the nearest medical facility or for return to your country of permanent residence. This benefit must be pre-approved and arranged by Claims at TuGo
- Accidental dental, maximum $4,000 for the repair or replacement of whole or sound teeth.
- Emergency dental, maximum $500 for a pain relief, other than caused by an accident.
- Funeral expenses - up to $10,000 for preparation and return of your body to your country of origin or up to $4,000 for burial or cremation at the place of death (excluding cost of a burial coffin or urn).
- Traveling companion benefit of up to $1,000 ($100 per day maximum) for hotel, meals, telephone calls, taxi or bus fare in the event of your hospitalization.
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment insurance - $25,000 (not applicable to Visitors to Canada Holiday Package).
- Visitors To Canada Holiday Package - Single Trip include:
Visitors to Canada Emergency Hospital Medical (Up to the limit of insurance purchased)
Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption (Up to the limit of insurance if policy was purchased before departure or up to $25,000 after departure.
Air Flight/Common Carrier Accident ($100,000)
24-Hour Accident ($25,000)
EXCLUSIONS: Your coverage is subject to various exclusions, which are completely set out in the Exclusions section of the policy document. The following, although not an exhaustive list, are some of these exclusions:
You are eligible for coverage if:
1. You have not yet reached the age of 90 years at the time of application date of the policy.
2. You are a visitor to Canada, an immigrant awaiting provincial government health care coverage, or a returning Canadian.
3. The expenses you incur result from an acute, sudden and unexpected emergency.
This plan includes a $150 per claim deductible with a buy-out option. The surcharge for $0 deductible is 15%.
WAITING PERIOD for illness:
Sickness coverage begins 48 hours from the effective date of the policy. There is a 7-day waiting period for sickness coverage if you have been in Canada more than 60 days.
No coverage for a medical condition, illness or injury for which you have received medical consultation, diagnosis, and/or treatment prior to the date of your trip.
Note: Each time you extend or purchase another policy from the insurance company because you are staying in Canada longer, each new or extended policy will have a new effective date and you will NOT be covered under the new or extended policy for any pre-existing conditions before the effective date of the new policy.
- No coverage is available after two-year continuously residing in Canada.
- Non-emergency treatment, regular checkups, ongoing care and investigative consultation.
- Medical treatment and expenses incurred while in your country of permanent residence.
- Any subsequent claim with respect to a sickness or injury, which occurred during the effective term of this insurance and for which a claim has already been make or is pending.
- Emotional or mental disorders.
- Injury or sickness while participation in professional sport activities.
In the event of a medical emergency, call Claims at TuGo immediately:
To make a claim, simply contact Claims at TuGo 24 hours a day, seven days a week:
From U.S.A. & Canada, call toll-free: 1-800-663-0399
From Mexico, call toll-free: 001-800-514-9976
Worldwide, call collect: 1-604-278-4108
Notice: all claims have to be reported to TuGo no later than 30 days from the date a claim arises. Within 90 days all documents supporting your claim have to be sent to the insurance company.
All claims correspondence should be mailed to:
Claims at TuGo
10th Floor, 6081 No. 3 Road
Richmond, BC Canada V6Y 2B2
In the event of unresolved disputes respecting any claim or portion thereof, the following should be contacted:
Claims at TuGo, 11th Floor, 6081 No. 3 Road, Richmond, BC, V6Y 2B2
Any complains must be submitted within one year after the date of the expense.
Refunds are available as follows:
1 . When no travel has taken place:
a) A full refund is available when the request for refund is received PRIOR to the effective date of the Policy .
b) A refund less an administration fee is available when the request for refund is received AFTER the effective date of the Policy, provided the request for refund is received no later than 30 days after the effective date and prior to the expiry date of the Policy .
2 . A partial refund is available if:
a) You return to your country of permanent residence and a minimum term of 30 days remains unused on the Policy; or,
b) You become eligible and/or covered under a provincial or territorial government health care plan during the period of coverage .
c) A satisfactory proof of return to your country of permanent residence or proof of the date you became eligible and/or covered under a provincial or territorial government health care plan, is sent to TuGo .
All refund requests must be received by TuGo no later than 30 days from the date you became eligible and/or covered under a provincial or territorial government health care plan .
Refunds will be calculated from the date you return to your country of permanent residence or the date you become eligible and/or covered under a provincial or territorial government health care plan .
All partial refunds will be subject to an administration fee .
3 . Refunds must be requested in writing .
4 . Refunds are not available if a claim has been or will be submitted
You can extend your period of coverage by calling your broker or Tugo if you meet the following conditions:
- You are in good health.
- You have not seen a physician since your departure date or the effective date of the policy.
- You have not submitted a claim and have no intent to submit a claim.
- Your period of coverage has not already expired.
- Extensions are not available if total trip length exceeds two years from the effective date of the original policy.
Travel worldwide during the period of coverage is valid as long as the majority of the period of coverage is spent in Canada. Coverage is not applicable while in your country of permanent residence. EMERGENCY MEDICAL TREATMENT:
The company agrees to pay you or your physician and hospital directly in respect of the expenses for losses incurred in excess of the amount of the deductible as shown on the application per insured per covered claim.